Front End Developer, UX/UI
Located in Toronto, Ulula is a software and analytics platform that connects directly and anonymously with workers and communities around the world. Our platform obtains honest feedback and creates more transparent and responsible supply chains. Ulula is a social enterprise that aims to improve working conditions in mining, manufacturing and agribusiness by sourcing and processing accurate and timely insights directly from workers around the world. We have projects across the globe including India, Peru, South Africa and China with clients ranging from NGOs to government departments to household name brands.
About the Role
We are searching for an experienced Front End Developer, UX/UI to join our growing team. The successful candidate will be involved in every aspect of the product design and development cycle, from initial user research to developing beautiful user interfaces. If you enjoy solving challenging problems, keeping up with the latest technology, and have strong design instincts we’d love to hear from you.
What you’ll do:
- Conduct design research leveraging customer input, Ulula team insight, and design trends
- Collaborate with the Product Manager, Director of Product & Analytics, development team and Programs team on outlining user flows, requirements, developing information architecture and creating wireframes
- Produce intuitive and beautiful responsive user interfaces for web and mobile that demonstrate solid understanding of visual design principles
- Present design prototypes and wireframes to internal and client stakeholders as required
- Work closely with the development team during development to communicate design solutions
- Design and help build interactive HTML prototypes
- Run user testing to inform design decisions and iterations
- Perform design audits and reviews in advance of feature releases by effectively communicating with cross-functional teams such as Business Development, Programs and Engineering
- Participate in ideation and solutioning for new product features related to client projects and R&D initiatives
- Attend daily standup meetings with the technology team
- Assist with designing, informing and documenting user manuals and release notes as required
Your preferred profile:
- Three plus (3+) years professional design experience
- An impressive portfolio showcasing your UI skills and understanding of user flows
- Strong knowledge of CSS, CSS extension languages (Less, Sass), and CSS preprocessor tools.
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 and its best practices.
- Proficiency with contemporary design tools, including, Figma
- Ability to clearly communicate your design specs to the engineering and programs teams
- Experience with various forms of user research
- Knowledge about color theory, design systems and style guides
What sets you apart:
- Experience with project management platforms, such as Jira and Monday.com
- Experience working with remote development team
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Passion for quality design and user experience
- Experience collaborating with customers and product delivery teams
- Desire to learn and become familiar with modern technologies
- Understanding of human rights abuses in global supply chain
- Ability to assimilate knowledge quickly and effectively
- Self-motivated with a tolerance for ambiguity and change
- Passion for equality and safe workplaces
Company perks and culture
- Work with a high achieving and multicultural team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Interact with global companies
- Competitive compensation, employee stock option plan and generous benefits package including dental and eye care; virtual health and fitness.
This is a remote role, and we particularly welcome candidates from the following regions: South America, Europe and Africa. The candidate should be open to working hours that will have some overlap with the EST time zone.
We have a market-based pay structure which varies by location. Please note that the base pay range is a guideline and for candidates who receive an offer, the base pay will vary based on factors such as work location as set out above, as well as the knowledge, skills and experience of the candidate.
For more information about Ulula please visit our site: www.ulula.com
Ulula is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status will receive consideration for employment. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process or employment with us, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.