Ulula is a social enterprise that aims to improve working conditions in mining, manufacturing and agribusiness by sourcing and processing accurate and timely insights directly from workers and communities around the world. Our software and analytics platform connects directly and anonymously with our target stakeholders to obtain honest feedback and create more transparent and responsible supply chains. We have projects across the globe including India, China, Malaysia, Peru, South Africa with clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to NGOs and government departments..
Role and Responsibilities:
We are searching for an experienced Software Developer with experience working in a start-up environment to join the growing business team at Ulula. This is a remote role, preferably for candidates from the following regions: South America, Europe and Africa.
The successful candidate will report to the Engineering R&D Lead and carry out the following responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership, guidance, and mentorship to the development team
- Lead architectural design, code reviews, and best practices implementation.
- Coordinate with project managers, product owners, and team members to ensure timely delivery and alignment with project goals
- Develop and maintain web applications using the Laravel framework.
- Optimize application performance, troubleshoot issues, and implement solutions to enhance scalability, reliability, and user experience.
- Design and implement database structures using MySQL.
- Create APIs, integrate third-party services, and develop backend functionalities.
- Write clean, efficient, and reusable code following best practices and coding standards.
- Debug issues, identify root causes, and implement fixes to ensure smooth application operation.
- Document technical specifications, system architecture, design decisions, and codebase to maintain transparency, knowledge sharing, and collaboration.
- Take part in an innovative replatforming project.
- Maintain documentation, update knowledge base, and share insights with team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Having 3-5 years of experience in PHP, Laravel framework, and related technologies. Relevant certifications or training in PHP and Laravel is a plus.
- Having 1-3 years of experience in Node.js, or TypeScript development, ideally working on a SaaS or B2B product.Strong understanding of software development lifecycle (SDLC), architectural principles, design patterns, and best practices.
- Demonstrated experience with DevOps tools such as GitHub, Subversion, Jenkins, CruiseControl, Maven, Artifactory, or Confluence is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working in an agile environment.
- Demonstrated experience incorporating DevOps practices such as sprint planning, continuous integration, and testing.
- Familiarity with version control systems like Git, development tools, and AWS cloud services.
- Knowledge of relational and NoSQL database management systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and collaborate effectively with team members.
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, decision-making, and strategic planning abilities.
This is a remote role, and we particularly welcome candidates from the following regions: South America, Europe and Africa. If located in a time zone other than EST, the candidate should be available to working hours that will have some overlap with the EST time zone (i.e. 6am-2pm EST).
We have a market-based pay structure which varies by location. Please note that the base pay range is a guideline and for candidates who receive an offer, the base pay will vary based on factors such as work location as set out above, as well as the knowledge, skills and experience of the candidate.
Don’t check all the boxes? Apply anyway if you’re curious to learn more about Ulula. For more information about Ulula please visit our site: www.ulula.com
Ulula is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status will receive consideration for employment. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process or employment with us, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.